In two decades, 20 percent of the United States population, or 72 million people, will be older than 65. Many older people, especially those over 85, may become dependent on family, the government, or both for financial, physical, and emotional support. It is not just our older citizens who need assistance:
- 8 of 10 seniors have at least one chronic health condition and 50% have at least two.
- 4 of 10 seniors over age 85 suffer from Alzheimer’s disease.
- Nearly a half million people ages 60 and older were abused or neglected in a domestic setting.
- In the U.S. there are an estimated 7.5 million people with intellectual disabilities.
- 1 of 4 adults suffers from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year … 57.7million people.
Click Here to read the Census Report from which this information is drawn.